Grants for Disabled Adults
General Grants

The Barchester Healthcare Foundation

The Barchester Healthcare Foundation supports older people and adults with physical and mental disabilities.

It is able to help individuals with the cost of items that enhance the person's mobility, independence or quality of life. This may include items such as a wheelchair, stairlift, specialised computer equipment, music lessions and bathroom adaptations.

Grants range from £100 to £5,000.

To apply: either complete the on-line application form or download an application form. All applications must be supported by a thrid party such as a social worker or healthcare professional.

Boshier-Hinton Foundation

The Bosher Hinton Foundation makes grants to individuals, or their families in the UK to improve the quality of life for people with disabilities or learning difficulties.

It also supports institutions and charities that provide facilities and/or advocacy for children and adults with special educational or other needs.

To apply: download and application form and return to the Foundation.

Elizabeth Finn Care

Elizabeth Finn Care provides direct financial support to individuals in need.

It is able to help British and Irish residents who have previously held jobs that required level 4 qualifications and have fallen on hard times through personal events such as family breakdown, redundancy or ill health.

They also help older people with limited pension provision and (ex)spouses/partners of eligible individuals

To find out more information complete the on-line enquiry form.

Engage Foundation - Personal Grants

Customers of Engage Mutual are able to apply for a personal grant from their Foundation.

It offers grants up to £500 for either yourself, your family or a close friend.

The Foundation has previously funded a mobility scooter, specialist technology for children with special needs, carers breaks and training for employment.

Applications are made through the website by completing an online application form.

Florence Nightingale Aid in Sickness Trust

The Trust provides grants to help people who are ill, convalescent or disabled.

It currently supports people of all ages with medical conditions, disability or poor health. However, if funding is limited preference with be given to people who have professional, secretarial, or administrative qualifications.

Funding may be provided for a range of medical items and services to improve quality of life. This includes TENS machines, orthopaedic beds, hoists and household items such as washing machines.

Applications should be made by a health professional or social worker on behalf of the client using the Trust's application form which can be downloaded from their website.

Glasspool Charity Trust

A National charity providing small one-off grants to individuals in need on a low income.

The Trust provides funding for household items such as white goods, furniture, clothing, baby needs, educational computer needs, specialist disability equipment, driving lessons/tests and travel to hospital.

The average grant is approx. £230.

Applications must be made by an organisation that meet the charity's criteria such as statutory bodies, CAB, charities who work with statutory organisations.

To obtain an application form email:

Heinz, Anna and Carol Kroch Foundation

The Heinz, Anna and Carol Kroch Foundation provides grants for individuals suffering from severe poverty or on-going medical conditions. It will also support victims of domestic abuse.

Grants of £100 to £500 are provided towards hospital travel costs, household items, adaptations or disability equipment. They will not fund holidays or education.

Applications must be made in writing by a recognised professional such a social worker, doctor or Citizen Advice representative who must include the individual's financial information.

Letters must be addressed to: The Heinz, Anna and Carol Kroch Foundation, PO Box 327, Hampton, TW12 9DD Telephone: 020 8979 0609 Email:

The Hospital Saturday Fund

The Hospital Saturday Fund provides grants to individuals from the UK and the Republic of Ireland.

It is able to help with the purchase of specialised equipment and practical forms of treatment.  This includes:

  • Mobility equipment such as wheelchairs and mobility scooters
  • Medical appliances and aids such as hearing aids,nebulisers and computer equipment
  • Therapeutic equipment and treatments such orthopaedic beds,riser/recliner chairs and complementary therapies
  • Home adaptations - walk in showers, access ramps, stair lifts
  • Miscellaneous - washing machines, respite breaks

To apply: Either download an application form or complete the online form on the website.

The Fund is also able to provide grants to registered health charities.

The League of the Helping Hand

The League of Helping Hand (LHH) provides financial support to people who are experiencing hardship due to illness or disability. They also provide assistance to carers of disabled children and adults.

  • Regular beneficiaries
  • One-off grants - usually for essential household items or specialist equipment

To apply download an application form and send to the The Secretary, LHH, PO Box 34, Burgess Hill,RH15 5AQ.

Miss Doreen Stanford Charitable Trust

The Trust offers support to the deaf, blind and other disabled people. It also considers children whose families are in financial need.

It provides one-off and recurrent grants between £500 and £1,500, mainly for equipment related to sickness or disability.

It does not provide grants for holidays or items such as washing machines, clothes or repairs.

Applications must be made through a charity outlining the request, the need for request, the person's income and expenditure. The request must be submitted by the end of January in any year as the trustees only meet once a year in March.

To apply contact the Miss Doreen Stanford Charitable Trust, 26 The Mead, Beckenham, Kent, BR3 5PE, Telephone: 020 8650 3368 

The Mobility Trust

The Mobility Trust provides equipment such as wheelchairs and mobility scooters following an assessment by an independent Occupational Therapist (OT) sent by the Trust.

The OT will then prescribe the most suitable piece of equipment for an individual.

Equipment is only provided if it is not available from statutory sources or the disabled person is unable to purchase for themselves.

To apply write a letter outlining why you need the equipment and details of your disability to Mrs Anne Munn, Mobility Trust, 17b Reading Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7LR

Newby Trust

The Newby Trust provides funding for individuals in need for the relief of poverty and medical welfare.

Applications must be made by Social Services, NHS Trusts, Citizens Advice Bureaux, other charities or similar organisations on behalf of the individual using the on-line application form. Financial statements of the individual's expenditure will be required.

Grants usually range from £10 to £200 paid to the applicant's organisation.

Applications re-open on 28th November 2011.

The Percy Bilton Charity

The Percy Bilton Charitiy supports individuals in need on low income who have a serious illness or disability or are aged 65 years or older.

They are able to provide one off grants up to a maximum of £200 to pay for essential items such as laundry equipment, cooking and heating appliances, furniture and clothing.

Applications for funding should be made only by health professionals or social workers on behalf of the individual.

St Jude's Trust

The St Jude's Trust supports the disabled and disadvantaged throughout England and Wales.

It gives grants to both organisations and individuals.

For further inforamtion contact Mr. R G Millman, Druces LLP, Salisbury House, London Wall, London EC2 5PS

The Talisman Charitable Trust

The Talisman Charitable Trust helps individuals in need with one-off grants to relieve poverty for education, health, housing, disablement or disability.

The Trust prefers applications to be made by a charitable organisation or professional on the individual’s behalf. If applying direct the application will need to be supported by either the local authority, a charity or Citizens Advice.

Transmission UK

Transmission UK aims to provide free complementary therapies such as massage, reflexology, and acupuncture to both children and adults with life-limiting or life-threatening conditions subject to available funds.

This includes conditions such as cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, autism, cancer, leukaemia, learning difficulties or behavioural problems.

The organisation offers grants to individuals, groups or projects. Individuals must be in receipt of Government benefits.

To apply use the on-line contact form

The Willow Foundation

The Willow Foundation was set up by the former England and Arsenal goalkeeper Bob Wilson and his wife Meg in memory of their daughter, Anna.

It provides special days out for seriously ill people aged 16 to 40 years who live in the UK. This includes young people with Cancer, Motor Neurone Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and organ failure. Full eligibility criteria can be found by downloading an Information leaflet.

Days out can be varied and past days out have included trips to the theatre, Premier and International sports events, health spas, city break, trips in a helicopter and hot air balloon.

To apply download an application form. All applications must be endorsed by a medical professional.

Vicars Relief Fund

The Vicars Relief Fund is able to make small grants (approx. £150) to anyone in need of essentials in the UK.

This might include beds, bedding, clothing, domestic appliances and arrears.

Applications can only be made on referral on behalf of the individual or family by an appropriate professional such as social worker, health visitor, clergyman, CAB advisor or other voluntary organisations.

Email: for an application form.

7 out of 10 grants are awarded and sent in 3 days.

See also:

Access to Elected Office for Disabled People Fund

BEAMA Foundation (disability equipment)

The Elifar Foundation

The Headley Trust

The HoneyRose Foundation (aged 40 + only)

Independence at Home

The Matthew Trust (for mental health difficulties)

Maria Hanson Foundation - Funded holidays for adults and disabled children with life threatening/shortening conditions

Check out the other pages…….

Grants for the Elderly and Older Adults

Grants for Individual Occupations

Grants for Disabled Veterans

Grants for Disabled Women

Grants for Young Adults

Return from Grants for Disabled Adults - General Grants

to Grants for Disabled Adults

Return to Disability Grants Home

YOUR Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave us a comment in the box below.

Don't miss it!

Disability Grants Newsletter

For monthly up-dates

Join NOW......

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Disability Grants News.

Back Issues Page

Popular Pages

Grants for Children

Grants for Families

Grants for Adults

Holiday Grants

Disability Equipment

Grants for Housing

And....for grants in

YOUR local area

Grants UK