> > Grants For Individual Occupations

Grants for Individual Occupations

ABTA Lifeline

ABTA Lifeline provides financial grants for people who have worked in the travel industry and are suffering real financial hardship.

It helps those who work or have worked for an ABTA member or other organisations with the travel industry who are engaged in the sale of ABTA products.

The charity is able to support the person, their partner and their family.  

Lifeline are able to help with:

  • Essential Living costs - such as washing machine, fridge breakdowns, furniture or contributions towards moving house (where moving is a necessity).
  • Children's needs - such as purchasing specialist equipment, mobility aids and in exceptional cases care and schooling costs.  It may also help with a maintenance grant if you need to take time off from work to care for your child.
  • Funeral costs
  • Priority Debts - occurred through illness, redundancy or relationship breakup.
  • Disability equipment - items not supplied through statutory services
  • Mobility needs - such as wheelchair, mobility scooter or deposit toward a Motability vehicle.
  • Property repairs such as heating and insulation

There are detailed factsheets on the website with more details on funding options and conditions.

To apply: download an application form or email lifeline@abtalifeline.org.uk for a form.


BEN - The Automotive Industry Charity

BEN is able to provide assistance to people (and their close dependents) in financial need who worked or are working in the motor or allied industries.

You must have less that £4,000 in savings and have difficulties managing financially to be eligible for a grant up to a maximum of £500.

To apply for a grant either download or telephone 08081 311 333 for an application form. Requests are normally considered within one month to six weeks.


Bank workers Charity

The Bank Workers Charity provides practical and financial support to individuals and their families who work or have worked in the banking industry.

To find out more contact the Bank Workers Charity direct on 0800 0234 834 to talk to one of their advisers.


The Blue Lamp Foundation

PC David Rathbone's The Blue Lamp Foundation supports members of the three UK Emergency Services and their families.

It provides support to relieve financial hardship among ambulance, police or fire service personnel injured in the course of their duty.  This includes their families and dependents


The Care Workers Charity

The Care Workers Charity supports current, former and retired care professionals.

It provides help for those who have either:

  • worked one continuous year if currently working in the care industry
  • OR 2 years total in the last 5 years
  • OR 5 years total in your working lifetime

And have limited savings and resources.

The charity is able to assist with:

  • Essential Need - to help pay for essential items for daily living or other items essential for wellbeing such as a mobility scooter for those with mobility difficulties.
  • Crisis - to help at times of crisis such a funeral payments and health and safety housing repairs.

To apply: In the first instance you are asked to consider other forms of assistance before downloading an application form.

Supporting evidence will be required.

It also provides advice and guidance on state support and links with debt counsellors.



Cavell Nurses Trust

The  Cavell Nurses Trust supports nurses, midwives, health care assistants, retired and student nurses.

To apply applicants must be:

  • State Registered/Enrolled nurse with at least 3 years experience after qualification
  • A Nursing Auxiliary with at least 5 years experience
  • A student nurse facing exceptional circumstances

It is able to help with household bills, spectacles, dental work, specialist aids or equipment, convalescence, respite or therapeutic breaks.

Applications must be supported by an appropriate professional or organisation such as a GP, social worker or Citizens Advice.

Financial information will be required as the applicant must not have savings of more than £4,000.

Further details from: Mrs C. Johnstone, Cavell Nurses Trust, Grosvenor House, Prospect Hill, Reddich B97 4DL

The Charity for Civil Servants

The Charity for Civil Servants is able to support past and present Civil Servants including their financial dependents.

It is able to help with:

  • Funding for essential household items such as ovens, washing machines and beds. 
  • Financial support towards convalescence and respite care
  • Travel costs to hospital
  • Advice and other support

To apply: Telephone: 0800 056 2424 or email: help@foryoubyyou.org.uk


Grocery Aid

Grocery Aid operated by the National Grocers' Benevolent Fund helps people who are working or have worked full or part-time in the grocery industry.

You must have worked in the grocery industry for at least ten years, have less than £12,000 in savings and be able to demonstrate financial hardship.

A volunteer assessor will visit the applicant to make a detailed assessment of their needs.  They have previously funded domestic appliances,electric wheelchairs, electric scooters, stairlifts and recliner chairs.

For the frail and very vulnerable who live alone they are able to provide telephone response systems.

To apply, download an application form.


Hospitality Action

Hospitality Action offers assistance to anyone who has worked or currently works in the hospitality industry in the UK.

It's Employee Assistance Programme provides a range of services from legal guidance, counselling and financial planning.

Grants are available for those with limited savings who have worked in the UK or Northern Ireland.

It offers the following grants:

  • Essential Needs Grants - to pay for essential items.
  • Crisis Grants - for those experiencing a sudden loss of income through bereavement, illness or injury.
  • Top-Up Grants - to help with general living costs
  • Winter Fuel Grants - to help with heating bills
  • Family Days Out 

All applications must be supported by an independent third party. Documentary evidence and proof of work history will be required.


The Junius S Morgan Benevolent Fund

The Fund was set up to help practicing or former nurses in financial need. Applicants must have worked a minimum of 5 years after registration.

It is able to award grants up to a maximum of £1,500 for items such household bills and decoration, walk-in baths, electric wheelchairs, and stair lifts.

To apply: download an application form. All forms must be submitted through a third party such as a social worker, care worker or Citizens Advice Bureau who must support the application. Financial information is required.


Police Dependents' Trust

The Police Dependents' Trust provides financial support to police officers and their families where the police officer has been killed or injured while on duty.

Dependants may be spouses, partners and children. This may also include elderly parents, other relatives, and foster/adoptive/step children.

There are a number of grant schemes:

  • Assistance Grants - fixed amounts dependent on the applicant's income
  • Special Purpose Grants - funding towards adaptations to the home, car or specialist equipment
  • Education Grants - assistance to young people for further or vocational education
  • Residential Care Grants - A fixed sum each year towards the cost of residential care.
  • Bereavement Grant - assistance in the event of a bereavement. Telephone for immediate financial support.

To apply: contact the Trust for an application form or telephone:020 8941 6907 or use the on-line contact form.

The Trust also looks after The National Police Fund which has a similar criteria.


Railway Benefit Fund (RBF)

The RBF supports current and former railway workers and their families through the relief of short and long term poverty.

It also provides support and advice.

Grants can be offered towards items such as mobility aids, funeral costs, housing repairs, housing adaptations and debt.

To apply: download an application form from the website or telephone:  0345 241 2885

Applications are reviewed on a monthly basis.


Retail Trust

The Retail Trust supports people who work or have worked in the retail industry.

They are able to offer short term financial assistance through their Hardship Grants.  

Applicants must have had at least two years working in retail if retired or still working in the industry.  Working age applicants not working in the industry must have had 5 years continuous employment in retail.

The Trust has previously helped with the cost of disability aids and equipment, funeral costs, council tax arrears, essential household furniture, food vouchers, help with heating bills, bankruptcy and debt relief order fees and respite breaks.

To apply: complete the online grant form.

Advice and information on budgeting and legal matters is also available.


The Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution (RABI)

RABI supports members of the farming community in financial need or distress in England and Wales.

The organisation helps all ages (including children) living on low income. It awards quarterly and seasonal grants, TV licence fees (to the under 75s) telephone rental costs, hampers or flowers for Christmas/birthdays and holidays.

It will also help in the purchase of household items, white goods, electrically powered mobility vehicles and other disability aids.

Their Gateway Scheme provides funding for skills training and development to help improve an individuals financial future.

To find out more about the grants telephone their confidential helpline on 0808 281 9490 or e-mail: grants@rabi.org.uk

You can also write to the Head of Welfare, RABI, Shaw House, 27 West Way, Oxford, OX2 0QH.

Scottish applicants should contact RSABI


See also.....

Asda Foundation

Fashion and Textile Children's Trust

Musicians Benevolent Fund

Perennial - for individuals who are working or have worked as gardeners, groundsmen, greenkeepers, tree surgeons or anything else where they get their hands dirty working with plants

TACT (The Actors Children's Trust)

Can't find what you'll looking for......

Other Occupations

If your occupation isn't listed have a look at the Members Directory provided by the Association of Charitable Organisations (ACO). This is the National body for trusts and foundations that provide grants and welfare support to individuals in need.

Assistance may also be available for members or former members of Trade Unions. A full list of Trade Unions can be seen on the TUC website.

Check out the other pages…….

Don't miss it!

Disability Grants News

FREE monthly up-dates

Your E-mail address is totally secure

We will only send you Disability Grants News

Back Issues Page

Popular Pages

Grants for Children

Grants for Children

Grants for Families

Grants for Families

Grants for Adults

Grants for Adults

Holiday Grants

Holiday Grants

Grants for Disability Equipment

Disability Equipment

Grants for Housing

Grants for Housing

And....for grants in

YOUR local area

Grants UK

Grants UK