FTC Disclosure

If you make a purchase via a link on this site, Disability Grants may receive a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you. Thank you!

> > Support and Information

Grants for Families and Carers
Support and Information

Age UK - Information Guides

Age UK have produced two excellent information guides to download providing advice for carers on the Carers Assessment, having a break, benefits, rights and entitlements.

The information is useful to all carers as well as carers of the elderly.


Carers Assessment

Carers who provide a substantial amount of care should ask their local Social Services for a Carer's Assessment.

This is an opportunity for them to look at your needs for support and further training.

Social Services will then include this support in the disabled person's care plan.

Once the Social Worker had identified all the needs they then allocate an individual budget.

With the growth of the Personalisation agenda Councils are now able to give cash payments or "Direct Payments" to allow people greater independence and control

This money is paid instead of receiving Council services.

The advantage of the "Direct Payments" is that the money can be used more flexibly to pay for items such as driving lessons, taxis or help with housework and gardening.

Carers Direct

Carers Direct is a national information, advice and support service for carers in England run by the NHS.

It has a Carers Direct helpline on 0300 123 1053 providing a free confidential advice to carers. It is open: Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and weekends 11am to 4pm.


The Carers Trust

The Carers Trust (formally The Princess Royal Trust and Crossroads Care) provides support to carers mainly through a network of Carers Services for carers and young carers.

The local carers groups within the network have access to funding to support carers.  It is usually available for respite, holidays, personal development, pampering and other awards providing relief to carers.

They also provide advice and guidance, advocacy support and may organise regular forums for the opportunity to voice opinions and concerns to influence future policy and decisions for carers.

The website is full of useful information on everything to do with being a carer including Carers Allowance and how to obtain a Carers Assessment.

They have recently published a useful Carers Guide to Managing Medicines (England only).


Carers UK

Carers UK aims to provide a voice to carers by campaigning for change and gathering evidence to challenge carers rights.

It provides information on all aspects of caring such as Direct Payments, how to maintain your state pension and carers rights in the workplace.



Contact a Family provide support, advice and information for all families with a disabled child.

They have a free telephone helpline 0808 808 3555 open Monday to Friday 9.30am to 5pm which is able to help with most issues concerning disabled children and their families.

There is also a Resource Library with useful publications.


National Family Carer Network

The National Family Carer Network links groups and organisations that support families that include an adult with learning disabilities.

If you are a familiy carer the organisation can help you find a local support group, information and other resources.


Skills for Care

Skills for Care provides resources for individual employers who employ personal assistants to provide their care.

The resources range from recruiting a care assistant to supporting their education and training.

Individual employer Funding - Money is available for employers to pay for themselves or/and their PA's to go on training.  The funding may be used to pay for courses such as emergency first aid and condition specific awareness training.

User-Led Organisation Funding - to deliver learning and development for individual employers and personal assistants.


Working Families

Working Families supports parents and carers in finding a balance between home and work.

It provides information and guides for working parents and carers on employment rights and benefits.

The organisation also run the "Waving not Drowning" project for parents of disabled children and carers of adults who want to combine work with their caring responsibilities. It sends out a newsletter 2 or 3 times a year and a monthly e-bulletin.

The "Waving not Drowning" helpline 020 7017 0072 is able to answer questions about work and caring.


Check out the other pages....

See also:

Disability Laws and Legal Rights 

For the rights of a carer

FTC Disclosure

If you make a purchase via a link on this site, Disability Grants may receive a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you.

Thank you!

Charity Changes

Please help us keep Disability Grants up-to-date by notifying us of any changes or errors.

Don't miss it!

Disability Grants News

FREE monthly up-dates

Your E-mail address is totally secure

We will only send you Disability Grants News

Back Issues Page

Popular Pages

Grants for Children

Grants for Children

Grants for Families

Grants for Families

Grants for Adults

Grants for Adults

Holiday Grants

Holiday Grants

Grants for Disability Equipment

Disability Equipment

Grants for Housing

Grants for Housing

And....for grants in

YOUR local area

Grants UK

Grants UK