FTC Disclosure

If you make a purchase via a link on this site, Disability Grants may receive a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you. Thank you!

> > Goverment Funding

Grants for Families and Carers
Government Funding

What happens at the moment?

At present, Central Government allocates Local Authorities a "Carer's Grant" each year. Some of this money is used by Social Services to fund areas such as short breaks while the rest is redistributed to local groups and charities to provide services to families and carers.

Your local council's website should be able to give you details about local funding for families and carers. The amount available will vary between authorities.

If you require support in your caring role your first point of contact should be the Social Services Department. They can discuss any difficulties and undertake a formal assessment of your needs called a Carer's Assessment and possibly a Community Care Assessment of the person you are caring for.

As a carer or parent of a disabled child you are entitled to a Carer's Assessment even if the person you care for is not receiving support from Social Services.

Having an assessment is important as it can establish the help you need in your caring role and whether any support or funding could be provided from Statutory sources.

If Social Services are unable to help they will (hopefully) have available a list of local organisations who will be able to support you.

What financial support is available to families and carers?

The main benefit for families and carers is the Carer's Allowance. This is a taxable benefit that can be paid to people over 16 years who provide care for over 35 hours a week provided the person you care for is in receipt of certain benefits.

The child or adult you care for must receive either Disability Living Allowance at the middle or higher rate for care or the Personal Independence Payment daily living component.  

The Carers Allowance is currently paid at £66.15 a week and is classed as taxable income.

To qualify your earning must be below an earnings threshold of £123 a week.

(Full details on eligibility can be found on the gov.uk website.)

However, the eligibility criteria: 'You must not earn more than £123 a week' (2019/20 is the sum you can earn after deducting:

  • Half of any contribution to a personal or occupational pension
  • Other work related expenses (such as tools, uniforms etc)
  • And after making the above deductions, you are also able to deduct up to half of money you earn to pay for childcare/care expenses

This is not widely known and many families and carers often miss out on receiving the Carer's Allowance as they fail to make these deductions.

If your employer doesn't have a company pension or you are self employed it is certainly worthwhile taking out a Stakeholder or other personal pension to ensure that your income after deductions is below the £120 a week.

Claiming the Carer's Allowance ensures that National Insurance (NI) contributions (Carer's Credit) are credited to your NI record which helps safeguard other benefits and your state pension.

The Carer's Credit (previously called the Home Responsibilities Protection) is available all carers caring for over 20 hours a week including those not eligible for a Carer's Allowance.

You may also receive a Carers Premium for other benefits such as Housing benefit and Council Tax support.  A "Carers Element" is also included in calculating Universal Credit.                                                                                                                

To claim the Carer's Allowance

To claim the Carer's Allowance either contact the Carer's Allowance Unit on 0845 6084321, visit your local Job Centre Plus, download an application form or complete the on-line application form.

Carers in Northern Ireland will need to either contact the Disability and Carer's Service on 028 9090 6186, The Benefit Enquiry helpline on 0800 22 06 74 or visit their local Jobs and Benefits/Social Security office.


Carers in Scotland who receiving the Carers Allowance on a certain date will receive an additional payment twice a year called the Carers Allowance Supplement.

The Scottish Government is also introducing a package of help for young carers in 2019.  This includes the Young Carers Grant worth £300 a year for young people aged 16 to 18 years caring for over 16 hours a week.

Disability Rights Handbook 

2019/20 edition provides up-to-date information on all benefits for the disabled.

An excellent resource.

Available from Amazon.

Check out the other pages....

See also:

FTC Disclosure

If you make a purchase via a link on this site, Disability Grants may receive a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you.

Thank you!

Charity Changes

Please help us keep Disability Grants up-to-date by notifying us of any changes or errors.

Don't miss it!

Disability Grants News

FREE monthly up-dates

Your E-mail address is totally secure

We will only send you Disability Grants News

Back Issues Page

Popular Pages

Grants for Children

Grants for Children

Grants for Families

Grants for Families

Grants for Adults

Grants for Adults

Holiday Grants

Holiday Grants

Grants for Disability Equipment

Disability Equipment

Grants for Housing

Grants for Housing

And....for grants in

YOUR local area

Grants UK

Grants UK