Grants for Disabled Veterans

Armed Forces Compensation Scheme

The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme is a compensation package for members and former members of the armed services for injuries, illness or death which occured as a result of service.

The Veterans Agency provide support with applications and have a freephone Help Line 0800 169 2777.

Click here for further information.

Be the Boss

"Be the Boss" is a Government funded scheme run by the British Legion to help UK service leavers plan, fund and grow their own small business.

It is open to all former members of the armed services regardless of discharge date. It welcomes applications from service leavers with an injury, disability, or long term health condition.

The scheme can provide funding up to £7,500 to start up a business or funding up to £30,000 to devleop an existing business that has been trading for between 12 and 24 months. The money is a mixture of grants and loans provided in £500 increments.

A one-off feasibility grant of £250 is also available to applicants to market test their idea.

Advice, guidance and mentoring will be provided as part of the scheme. "Be the Boss" is not means tested.

Further information is available on CivvyStreet, the British Legion website for jobs and employment: and on the Legion website, Telephone: 0800 678 5787 E-mail:

BLESMA The Limbless Veterans

BLESMA provides support to service men and women who lose limbs, eyes or use of limbs or sight.

It is able to offer grants to make life easier to pay for items such as wheelchairs, stairlifts and car adaptations.

To find out more information contact Blesma, 185-187 High Road, Chadwell Heath, Romford, Essex RM6 6NA Telephone: 0208 590 1124 or e-mail:

The organisation is also able to help with rehabilitation and advice.

Blind Veterans UK (St Dunstans)

St Dunstans helps blind ex service men and women lead independent and fulfilling lives.  This includes older veterans who may have served National Service and suffered sight loss through old age.

It provides a range of services to support blind veterans including grants towards specialist equipment, computers and access equipment.

To apply: download an application form or telephone: 0800 389 7979.

Combat stress

Although the Combat Stress charity does not provide grants it is included as all of it's services are free to Veterans suffering from mental health conditions or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

It offers a 24 hour confidential help-line: 0800 138 1619, a community outreach service, clinical treatments at residential centres and a six week programme of treatment and rehabilitation.

The charity provides specialised treatments in an ex service environment. It also enables them to meet other veterans who have had similar experiences to their own.

The Employment Support Grant

The Employment Support Grant is run by the British Legion and funded by the annual Popply Appeal to support entry into employment.

It is open to ex service personnel who are resident in the UK, unemployed or on means tested benefits and in financial need.

The grant is to pay for a recognised skills training course with a direct link to future employment. It will not fund training that could be funded from statutory sources.

The amount of grant will be determined on a case by case basis but it unlikely that an applicant will be awarded more than £1,500.

To apply complete the on-line application form or telephone: 0800 169 4073

Hero's Return

The Big Lottery Fund has extended its Heroes Return 2 Programme until 31st January 2012.

Second World War veterans from the UK,Channel Islands and Ireland are able to apply for grants to enable them to return back to places in the world where they served. The grant covers the cost of accomodation and travel for themselves, and their spouses or carers.

Funding is also available for veterans to take part in offical commemorations in the UK.

It is open to veterans resident in the UK and the Republic of Ireland. War widows and widowers of veterans are also eligible for funding.

To apply download an application form from the website.

The Not Forgotten Association

The Association provides leisure and recreation opportunities to serving and ex-service personnel who have been wounded or have a permanent injury.

It helps in the provision of holidays, days out, entertainment at care homes. It also provides large screen televisions and television licences to individual veterans and care homes.

Beneficiaries are usually identified by other user groups such as The Royal British Legion and veterans groups who refer them to the Association. An on-line contact form is available.

The Soldiers' Charity

The Soldiers' Charity provides lifetime support to serving and retired soldiers including the Reserve Army(TA) and their families.

It provides grants in 7 areas:

  • Annuities - as a supplement for older veterans and their widows living alone on a basic state pension
  • Care home fees - to top up support for older veterans and their widows where local authority payments are insufficient
  • Bursaries -  to help retrain soldiers with disabilities covering course fees and equipment.  Also support for ex-soldiers undertaking higher education courses and funding for continuing education of soldier's children who have died or been disabled in service.
  • Holiday schemes - providing short breaks for families under stress and for service children with special needs to have a holiday.
  • Special Funds - to assist soldiers who have been injured in Northern Ireland, the Falklands Campaign or the Gulf War.  Also to help dependents of those killed in these campaigns.  This area also includes The George Purse Trust to provide grants to those who live in Wales and are in need of respite care.
  • General Needs - grants providing support that can't be meet from any other source - including mobility aids such as wheelchairs, stairlifts etc
  • Current Operations Fund - for soldiers injured in recent conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan and may include retraining a disabled soldier or holiday funds for a war window and her family.

Applications for serving soldiers should be made through their Regimental or Corps Association and former soldiers should follow three simple steps.


The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) provides help and support to existing and past service personnel and their families.

It offers a wide range of services including:

  • Rehabilitation for injured servicemen and women
  • A confidential helpline (Forcesline)
  • Additional needs and disability support such as four holidays a years for children with special needs and their siblings
  • Short stay accomodation for families visiting injured relatives
  • Financial assistance for a wide range of needs
  • Funding for home adaptations or specialist disability equipment unavailable from statutory sources.
  • Residential care for those with disabilities

The help is available to almost anyone with a service connection.

Further information can be found on the SSAFA website.


The Wounded and Disabled Employment (W.A.D.E) charity provides training for those interested in training for employment in construction and associated industries.

WADE welcomes approaches from ex servicemen especially if they have been injured in the course of duty and anyone with a more general disability.

It provides academic and vocational training and each person is allocated a professional mentor to facilitate their new career.

The organisation is currently based around the London/South-East/ North Linclonshire and hopes to expand to other areas in the future.

Women's Royal Naval Service Benevolent Fund

The Trust helps woman who served in the Woman's Royal Naval Service by providing relief at difficult times or distress.

This includes woman who served in the WRNS since 3rd September 1939 and women who served in the WRNS and were transferred before 1st November 1993.  Both officers and ratings.

It able to provide regular grants for those living on low income or in a care home and payments towards bills, clothing and household goods.

It also awards one off grants that may be used to pay for convalescence care, education, household goods, medical aids and funerals.

Applications should be made to the Grants Administrator email:, through the SSFA (Soldiers, Sailors, Airman and Families Association or the Royal British Legion.

See also:

Stratus Flying Charity (for free flying lessons towards private pilot's license)

Check out the other pages…….

General Grants for Disabled Adults

Grants for the Elderly and Older Adults

Grants for Individual Occupations

Grants for Disabled Women

Grants for Young Adults

Return from Grants for Disabled Veterans

to Grants for Disabled Adults 

Return to Disability Grants Home

YOUR Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave us a comment in the box below.

Privacy and Cookie Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2010-2014

Advertise with Disability Grants

Don't miss it!

Disability Grants Newsletter

For monthly up-dates

Join NOW......

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Disability Grants News.

Back Issues Page

Popular Pages

Grants for Children

Grants for Families

Grants for Adults

Holiday Grants

Disability Equipment

Grants for Housing

And....for grants in

YOUR local area

Grants UK




Listen to this website with BrowseAloud