> > Grants For Eldery

Grants for the Elderly
and Older Adults

Active at 60

The Government is providing £1 million to fund Active at 60 a project to help older adults approaching retirement or who have retired to help improve their wellbeing and to enable them to become more active.

The scheme is only open to community groups in certain areas of England chosen by the level of deprivation, age structure and a balance of rural and urban areas:

  • South Tyneside, Sunderland, Hartlepool,Redcar and Cleveland, Middlesbrough
  • Blackpool, Rochdale, Manchester, Liverpool,Wirral, Knowsley, Stoke-on-Trent
  • Kingston-Upon-Hull,Doncaster,Lincolnshire,,Nottingham
  • Birmingham, Sandwell, Salford,Wolverhampton,Herefordshire
  • Norfolk,Southend-on-Sea
  • Hackney,Tower Hamlets, Enfield
  • East Sussex, Brighton and Hove, Bournemouth, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly

The funds will be distributed by the Community Development Foundation to local area funders who will then invite local organisations to apply for the grants which will range between £250 to £3,000 per group.

Active at 60 is expected to start in the New Year.


Age UK

Age UK was created by the joining of two charities for the elderly, Age Concern and Help the Aged.

As well as providing advice and practical support it also runs a grant programme. It distributes funding to not-for-profit organisations benefiting older people to improve their quality of life.

It is unable to provide grants to individuals.

Further information can be obtained by telephoning Age UK free on 0800 169 8787.


Aid for the Aged in Distress (AFTAID)

AFTAID provides direct financial aid to the elderly people over pension age in the UK who are in need and distress.

The grants are often given to cover emergency situations and to improve quality of life where it can't be funded from statutory sources. This might include emergency grants for bedding, clothing, cookers, rewiring, installation of a phone line and other essential items such as mobility scooters and bath lifts.

AFTAID is able to accept appplications from individuals, relatives, neighbours, care and health professionals. To apply the elderly person must be:

  • Of state pensionable age (currently 60 years for women and 65 years for men)
  • A UK citizen, living in the UK
  • On low income and have minimal savings

To apply complete the on-line form for an application form. A secondary form will need to be completed by a representative of a social care agency or charitable group.


Friends of the Elderly

Friends of the Elderly supports older people in need to help them retain their independence and dignity.

It is able to provide one-off grants for essential items such as mobility aids, household items, property repairs and alterations. Applicants must be over 60 years (50 years for homeless) on low income and minimal savings.

All applications should be made by a third party such as Citizens Advice, Social Services or AgeUK.


Home Warmth for the Aged Benevolent Fund

A small charity that help elderly people on low income throughout the UK.

It provides heating appliances, fuel, bedding and warm clothes.

Further information can be obtained from:

Mr.W.J. Berentemfel, 19 Towers Wood, South Darenth, Dartford, DA4 9BQ or email: w.berentemfel@btinternet.com

HoneyRose Foundation

The HoneyRose Foundation is a wish charity for adults over 40 years who are suffering from a life threatening or terminal illness.

It provides memorable experiences, a special day or a weekend with their family.

Past wishes include a visit to the Emmerdale film set, a trip to Liverpool Football club and travelling on the West Highland Railway Line.

To apply: contact the office tel: 01744 451919 or write to: The Honey Rose Foundation, 2-4 Cotham Street, St Helens WA10 1SL for an application form.


Independent Age

Independent Age aims to help the elderly against financial poverty, social poverty and the poverty of information.

It provides financial support for those in greatest need with mobility aids and essential house repairs such as a leaky roof or a broken boiler.

Their Wise Guide details advice on claiming benefits and other services.

To apply for help, an application form and further information contact their care services team on 020 7605 4200


National Benevolent Fund for the Aged (NBFA)

The NBFA offers support to the over 50's on low income to prevent isolation and to help with maintain independence in old age.

It provides breaks away and day trips(over 60's), free TENS machines and free emergencey telephone alarms.

The charity's services are open to everyone: men, women, singles, couples, friends, and groups, carers seeking respite or people celebrating a special occasion.

Further information can be obtained by using the on-line contact form or telephone: 020 7828 0200


National Benevolent Institution

The National Benevolent Institution provides short and long term help to older people (over 50 years) in need of assistance.

It is able to provide financial support through one off grants and regular support. Applicants must be livng on low income, have minimal savings and on Disability Living Allowance if under the state retirement age.

It is preferred that applications are supported by an appropriate professional but is not essential.

To apply: download the application form and full eligibility conditions.

The charity also has accomodation for those on low income in Gloucestershire and Berkshire.


See also......

The Barchester Healthcare Foundation

The Concertina Charitable Trust (funding of musical activities for the elderly)

The Saga Respite for Carers

Check out the other pages…….

Don't miss it!

Disability Grants News

FREE monthly up-dates

Your E-mail address is totally secure

We will only send you Disability Grants News

Back Issues Page

Popular Pages

Grants for Children

Grants for Children

Grants for Families

Grants for Families

Grants for Adults

Grants for Adults

Holiday Grants

Holiday Grants

Grants for Disability Equipment

Disability Equipment

Grants for Housing

Grants for Housing

And....for grants in

YOUR local area

Grants UK

Grants UK