Sign Up TODAY for our FREE Newsletter for UK Residents  Sign me up >

FTC Disclosure

If you make a purchase via a link on this site, Disability Grants may receive a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you. Thank you!

Grant to make my Garden
safe and relaxing

by Michelle
(Manchester, England)

wicker rocking chair in secluded garden

I have a 15 year old daughter who has mental health problems.

My daughter was diagnosed with anorexia at the age of twelve and has been in and out of hospital for 3 years.

She has been sectioned twice and close to death.

Although she is now eating she still has to be monitored and cared for and doesn’t find it easy to go out and socialise. She spends a lot of time at home with her family.

My daughter is on 3 lots of medication a day and is monitored regularly by her doctor, physiatrist and social worker.

I have recently moved nearer to family to get help and support with her.

The garden at the house is in a very bad way and I would like to see if I can get a grant to make the garden a safe and relaxing place for her.

Can you tell me if there is any funding for this as I can’t possibly afford to do it, as I have 4 other children? Our only income is from myself as my husband is her carer.

Many thanks


Hi Michelle,

The Wellchild Charity Helping Hands project provides support to sick children and their families. They have used their volunteers to help adapt gardens in the past - they actually do the work!

The Gardening with Disabilities provides small financial grants to help people continue to experience the joy of gardening, despite disability

I would also suggest that you contact your local Rotary, Round Table or Lions Club as they may be willing to fund or part contribute towards your garden. Details of your local groups can be found from your local library or citizen’s Advice Bureau.

I do hope you find the funding that you need.



Garden Access - Disabled Facilities Grant
by: Tracey Wright

We've applied to our local council for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to help getting access to our garden for our son who became disabled 5 years ago, he's now 11.

It took getting my MP involved to get them to agree to a platform lift to get him to a small section, however, doing that makes the small area even smaller!!!

Now I've enlisted the support of an advocate who is putting my son's case forward to get him proper access to more of the garden that we all use as a family that is inaccessible to him, will have to see what they say!!

Not sure if the DFG part is relevant in your situation but I'm sure Barnardos could help in getting appropriate services to do what is needed! Xx

Help with my garden
by: Michelle

Hi I am disabled with an 8 yr old daughter. I would love to garden but need help with not just funding but help with maintaining it too.

Are there any people/clubs groups etc who can help me? Please.


Hi Michelle,
In some areas there is sometimes a Volunteer organisation that registers people who are happy to volunteer for free.

Do contact your local council to see if such a service exists in your area.

Good luck!

Copyright © 2010-2024 Disability Grants Ltd 

Company number: 8937008

VAT Number 207954787