Welcome to the February edition of Disability Grants News - a monthly round up of highlights on the Disability Grants website and resources for anyone with a disability, caring for or working with disabled adults or children.
Educational Grants for Schools
Children and Young People
- The Fashion & Textile Children's Trust (FTCT) provides financial grants to children (up to 18 years) where one or more parent has worked in the UK fashion and textile industry- for at least one year, within the last 9 years.
- Vision England is an exciting residential programme for 14-17 year olds with vision impairment, in partnership with the Field Studies Council (FSC). To join the 2018 programme just download and complete an application form.
- Merlin’s Magic Wand provides magical experiences for seriously ill, disadvantaged and disabled children aged 2 to 18 years at its attractions. It will only accept applications from families/children who haven’t received tickets in the past.
- Development Awards for young people aged 16 to 30 years are available from The Princes Trust to help them achieve their plans for education, training or employment.
- Tax-free Childcare is now open to all remaining eligible families whose youngest child is under 12 years. Find out how you can get help with your childcare costs from Childcare Choices.
for nurses, midwives and health care assistants both past and present suffering from personal or financial hardship from the Cavell Nurses Trust.
- Financial support is available from the Lighthouse Club for construction workers and their families in financial need or who have suffered from an accident or ill health.
- You can claim a refund on part of your application fee if you applied to register a power of attorney from 1st April 2013 to 31st March 2017. This applies to lasting powers of attorney (LPA) and enduring powers of
attorney (EPA). Refunds must be made by 31st January 2021.
- With this weeks’ cold weather most of the UK may end up being eligible for the Cold Weather Payment (7 consecutive days zero degrees Celsius or below). It is paid to those on certain benefits including income-related Employment and Support Allowance and Universal Credit. It should be paid automatically.
- Anyone born on or before 5th August 1953 will receive a Winter Fuel Payment of between £100 and £300. It is normally paid automatically if you get a state pension or social security benefit. If you don’t receive it and you think you are eligible you have until 31st March 2018 to claim for this winter.
- Home Energy Scotland can help cut your energy bills with financial support to make your home warmer. Take their questionnaire to find out if you are eligible.
- If you run a disability group or support adults or children with additional need check out our resourceson grants for the disabled.
- A new phone line for troops with mental health issues has been launched - The Military Mental Health Helpline can be called on 0800 323 4444.
- Learning disability and diabetes resources have been released including an Easy Read guide for people with type 2 diabetes and a learning disability.
- The Child Law Advice Service provides legal advice and information on family, child and education law affecting children and families in England. Free how-to-guides and information available on their website.
- Project Linus UK makes beautiful handmade quilts to give away to sick and traumatised babies, children and teenagers, hospices and sensory rooms for schools.
- Treat Me Well is a new Mencap campaign to transform how the NHS treats people with a learning disability in hospital. Find out how you can help.
Please don't forget that Disability Grants is a shared resource where everyone helps each other..... So, do participate and share your knowledge and experiences.
Help and Be Helped
All the best
Founder of Disability Grants
Are there topics you would like the newsletter to cover? Tell us how Disability Grants can improve so we can help you more in the future.
Spread the word! If you enjoy reading this newsletter please forward it on to your friends and colleagues.
And...stay connected by joining us on Facebook
Disability Grants helping you save time
finding the right grant