Welcome to the July edition of Disability Grants News - a monthly round up of highlights on the Disability Grants website and resources for anyone with a disability, caring for or working with disabled adults or children.
Not sure how to complain or to ask for services you need? Check out our list of template letters from different organisations to help you get started.
- There have been stories in the news recently about individuals having to crowdfund for their own wheelchairs. Check out our information on Grants for Wheelchairs Part 1 / Part 2 and the charities that may be able to help you with funding.
- Action for Kids are now accepting applications for disability equipment not available from the NHS for young people up to 26 years.
- The Sandcastle Trust is able
to help families affected by Rare Genetic Conditions through provision of holidays, day trips and respite breaks
- Whizz Kidz still have some places left for their Explore Camp from 22-24 August for wheelchair users aged 12-18 from the North West (Liverpool, Wigan, Manchester, Lancaster) For more information email: email@example.com
- The Snowdon Trust is accepting applications from students seeking grant support for the 2017/18 academic year. It is open to young people with a physical or sensory disability in post-16 education. It is able to help with additional disability-related costs that are not fully provided by statutory funding.
- A small number of City and Guilds bursaries are available for people undertaking City and Guilds Qualifications. Applications open in the autumn for courses starting from 1st March 2018.
- Grants of up to £2,000 are available towards the purchase of musical instruments or/and equipment from the EMI Music Sound Foundation. Closing date: 21st August
- For disabled entrepreneurs in the UK... The Stelios Award 2017 is now open. The Award is worth £30,000 to the winner with £10,000 for the 4 runner-ups. Entries close 6th October 2017.
- Macmillan, the cancer support charity is able to provide grants to adults, young people and children with cancer and those still affected by the
illness or treatment.
- Did you know that people with complex health needs can have their care funded through the NHS Care Fund under the Continuing Heathcare rules?
- Turn2Us have set up a Response Fund to help people who have had a life-changing event in the last 12 months that has left them in financial hardship.
- The Warm Home Discount Scheme is a one-off discount of £140 on your electricity bill between October and April. Check your eligibility as some schemes will be opening for
applications shortly (some are open all year).
- The Wiltshire Community Fund is offering funding for projects in Wiltshire and Swindon that support disadvantaged members of the community. This includes having additional needs, a disability or mental health issue. Closing date for applications is 24th August 2017.
- Macmillan also has a grants programme "Supporting you to help others" for groups and individuals who support people affected by cancer. The next deadline for applications is 4th August 2017.
- Wheels for Good are offering grants for charities to support projects involving wheels and transport such as mini-buses, wheelchairs etc.
- The Henry Smith Charity offers funding for disadvantaged and disabled children aged 13 years and under for a recreational holiday or outing. Schools, youth groups, charities and not for profit organisations can apply for funding ranging from £500 to £2,500. Closing
date: 7th November for trips taken between 1 September and 31 December 2017.
- The Lord Taverners Sports Wheelchair Programme is currently open. It's Outdoor Play Programme closes on 31st August 2017.
- Save money with a Kids Pass this summer. If you purchase a Kids Pass Disability Grants receives a small remuneration from the sale.
- Disability Rights UK's Into Apprenticeships is a guide for disabled people, parents and key advisers about applying for apprenticeships in England.
- Cerebra have published two guides for parents for disabled children on social care - one for England and one for Wales. They are free to download from their website.
- Jeans for Genes Day is Friday 22nd September 2017. Wear Jeans to support Genetic Disorders UK. Make sure you get your free fundraising pack.
And finally if you are heading to the beach this summer check out our map showing the locations of Beach Wheelchairs for Hire in the UK.
Please don't forget that Disability Grants is a shared resource where everyone helps each other..... So, do participate and share your knowledge and experiences.
Help and Be Helped
All the best
Founder of Disability Grants
Are there topics you would like the newsletter to cover? Tell us how Disability Grants can improve so we can help you more in the future.
Spread the word! If you enjoy reading this newsletter please forward it on to your friends and colleagues.
And...stay connected by joining us on Facebook
Disability Grants helping you save time
finding the right grant